If you have had one drink too many, don’t drive. You may hurt someone on the road or you can damage property. Don’t drive because you may be arrested for driving under influence (DUI) which is a serious crime in Arizona. If you are convicted, you have to pay fines and penalties and face the inconvenience of a record that can hurt your future employment opportunities. However, in case you are arrested allow the DUI attorney to establish your defense and avoid being convicted. For legal assistance, visit http://www.topgunrated.com – tempe dui attorney.
What factors can affect BAC results?
Never assume that because you only had a few dinks that you are within the legal limits to drive a motor vehicle. Few people realize that a few drinks can make them exceed the legal standards of .08% of blood alcohol content (BAC). There are factors that will affect BAC levels:
- The faster you drink, the more quickly you become intoxicated. If more than one drink is consumed every hour, the liver will be unable to keep pace and more alcohol will be found on the bloodstream.
- Men have more blood that will dilute alcohol due to their greater size than women. Even if the man has the same weight as a woman, he still has more blood.
- Drinking on a full stomach slows the absorption of alcohol and its effects will occur at a slower rate. Fatty foods are more successful in slowing down the absorption of alcohol because they are more difficult to digest.
- Women reach higher BAC’s than men because they have less water in the body to dilute alcohol.
- The higher the alcohol concentration of a drink the faster will be its absorption into the bloodstream. One standard drink of scotch or bourbon has the same alcohol content as a bottle of beer and since hard liquor is less diluted, the effects are noticed immediately.
- If you are taking medications like aspirin, cough medicines, anti-depressants or tranquilizers, it can enhance the effects of alcohol.
- Long term drinkers have more tolerance for alcohol but BAC is not affected by alcohol tolerance.
- Alcohol has a more pronounced effect on a person who is tired and under stress.
How can the DUI attorney contest the BAC results?
If you hire an experienced DUI attorney, the BAC results can easily be challenged on a number of different grounds. If the test was done through a breathalyzer, it can be claimed that you are taking medication for a fever and cold or you have dentures that can trap alcohol in the mouth. If a blood test was done, the lawyer can ask if the technician is certified or whether the blood has been taken from a vein and not an artery. Was there a proper mix of preservatives during the process? DUI attorneys are experts in finding violations in the BAC testing processes. Their strategies have helped many individuals get dismissals from DUI charges so that their driver’s licenses will not suspended and they do not have to pay hefty fines and penalties.